Tuesday 23 March 2010

Icon and Flatirons


A recent visit to a showcase theatre in the centre of my city (where my youngest was taking part in a fashion show wearing the garment we had the panic over for her A level piece) found me standing in the queue, clutching my ticket and waiting to be allowed in.



As I looked back at the street behind me this building captured my imagination. I have lived in the city all my life and I know this wont have been the first time I have viewed it, but it reminded my of the The Flatiron Building, or Fuller Building as it was originally called, located in Manhattan. When it was completed back in 1902 it was one of the tallest buildings in New York.
The neighborhood around the building is called the Flatiron District after its signature building, which has become an iconic.

Of course this little building is only 3 storeys high but it made me smile as I looked back at our own little icon....

No comments:

Post a Comment